Saturday 16 May 2009

New beginnings

Well it's happened. I am now officially unemployed.......the first time in my whole life and I'm not sure how to feel. Initial reaction is life carries on as normal but the realisation may set in that I am not earning an income, I'm not doing a job, how do I pay the mortgage etc etc. What I do know is that I have some redundancy due very soon....it will help, in the short term.

Just before Christmas when we were all told that both our site at Trafford Park, Manchester and the site Brockworth, Gloucester would be closing due to the 'merger' of new business, I started looking around for possible new jobs. Now what we have to remember is that we were being hit hard with the recession so there wasn't much out there. I happened to be reading a trucking magazine and saw an advertisement for drivers in Canada, and something started to click in my head!

Through general browsing on the interweb I found a great site where there was oodles of information that I might need regarding possibly relocating to Canada. There was a decent membership and the chaps on there were a mixture of those that had made the leap, those nearly making the leap and those just thinking about making the leap, namely me.

Eventually, after weighing up some options I came across Donnelly Farms, Lansdowne, New Brunswick and after completing an application form, and a few phonecalls I was offered a job!! Easy as that? Almost, the only hurdle i have hit is trying to get references from past employers....
The firm I was at till yesterday couldn't of written me a more exemplary reference, thanks John, and I was able to apply for a Labour Market Opinion on the back of that alone. To my delight it came back after a week, positive. So a start date has been agreed, flights booked and the only thing to do is to get police clearance!! I'm doing the 3 day special albeit paying £70 but guarantees it back by the end of next week....I hope!

So now I am up to date and so are you. Whats next? Basically sorting things my end, tying up the loose strings and prepping myself for the start of a new beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment